Aachille's First Week At The Breakers

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Northern Peregrine, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Northern Peregrine

Northern Peregrine Well-known Member

Thanks PF :) I've finally quit beating myself up now. Aachilles has been unusually loveable all this week, so I know he doesn't blame me. It might sound a bit like a 'Home And Away' episode but I feel this near-tragedy has brought us closer together. Another week off ( and a trip to the chiro) to make sure he's okay , then it'll back to the office for us.

All better now :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  2. retroremedy

retroremedy Well-known Member

So good to hear NP, looking forward to more Archie success and comedy tales and no more action dramas ! :)

3. Northern Peregrine

Lol.. I really do hope there more success and comedy than action dramas too. :)
    It would be quite tempting to write about only the good stuff that happens and leave all the bad stuff out ( especially as sometimes it doesn't make me look all that good) but as well as for, hopefully, information purposes ..and possibly entertainment.. I'm using this thread as a kind of record for myself. I want to be able to look at it sometime waaaay in the future and remember everything about this time with Aachi.
    I already look back at some of the earlier posts and I wonder how I even got through the periods when he was seriously ill or when he had surgery and his future looked in doubt...or when he just plain wasn't cooperating with me ( pre-Rick). But I did and I know there's still a really long way to go but I won't be giving up on him any time soon :)

4. Northern Peregrine

Just a quick update to say all is now well in Aachi World ( saying this with firmly crossed fingers, as usual :)
    He spent two days at Rick's place for a mini-boot camp this week ( more for my benefit than his really) and then I rode him today ...for the first time since the accident ...in a dressage lesson and it was all good. There were no aerial manoeuvres and nothing to suggest he was even thinking about it. He's much better with the contact now and we are starting working on some leg yielding and things like turn on the forehand at the moment and he is picking it all up well. Very happy with him today.
    It is tempting to have a break over Christmas .. me having a break from him, I mean, he's had enough breaks this year ...but I think we need to keep on ticking over during summer.
    No photos from today 'cos my official photographer (OH) says he 'didn't bother 'cos they always look the same' *#) but here's one with Rick from yesterday.

[​IMG]

5. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

What a great read - thank you Northern Peregrine :) Haven't been on stockies for absolute ages and was just having a browse and saw this thread - have now read it from start to finish. Thanks so much for sharing.

I too have a youngster, though he's not yet started (will be early in the new year). Also hoping he'll be my final horse. Sometimes I think we curse ourselves with the names though - yours being Aachillies (an almost invincible demi-god with one fatal weakness) and mine being Loki (norse god of mischief and chaos). Thankfully, so far Loki hasn't lived up to his name to the same degree Aachi has!

I wish you well for the rest of your journey :)

6. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

Wait untill Loki is under saddle, he might start pulling tricks then, but you might have a non klutzy horse (here hoping):)

7. Northern Peregrine

In spite of my best intentions to keep the Aarchster 'ticking over' during Christmas/ New Year.. I haven't. I've barely managed to keep myself ticking over :eek: But I have now forced myself to gain some motivation and get Aachi going again after a good month or so off.
    Inevitably I took him to Rick's first and then clambered back on myself for a lesson the next day. Aachi has lost some fitness and put on some weight.. and so have I, sadly.
    He was a good boy again.. no dramas..but after an hour I felt like I'd ridden a x-country course, fallen off and been trampled...I'm that sore. Aachi is a horse that obviously can be left for reasonable periods and then can be ridden without too many problems. I like that about him.:)
    Although still very much a baby in a big horse body , glimpses of the 'older' horse are just beginning to emerge now. He's a bit more patient with things in general, more accepting and a bit less of a Goof. There is hope. I can almost begin to feel a bit pleased with myself now for getting thus far with him, although there was absolutely no way I could have done it without the professional help that I have been lucky enough to have.

His hocks still seem really good but I will have x-rays done at one year post-surgery to check for any adverse changes. If all stays good and if the vet agrees, might let him do some (cautious) jump training with Rick when he turns six later this year.
    No actual photos of us again. I'm still just working on keeping the rhythm and forwardness and OH 'photographer' still deems this boring and not photo-worthy. But I like posting photos, so here is one with Rick.. again..from his first ride back this week.

[​IMG]

8. Northern Peregrine

Aachilles Has Been Cleared For Take-Off

Happy to report that the vet has said, Aachi can give jumping 'a go' now.. and we will wait and see what happens.
    So took him out to Rick's this week. First time jumping in over a year. Just over a low grid ..and he was mad keen to get at and over them. Rick said he actually had to hold him back.
    It's uncertain whether he'll ever be competitive as a show jumper but if his legs stay good he just might be. OCD ..and arthritis ..clearly does not mean the end of a career.
    For my part, I'm trying to stay motivated and have taken him to an ARC groundwork/ ridden clinic ..where he behaved very well. Am also keeping on with the dressage lessons. We still have the off moments .. plenty of them actually :) ..but just keeping on slowly chipping away.

Jumping the grid...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

..and just to prove I really do get on him too. Just pottering about after a lesson.. but I like this one 'cos I'm smiling...

[​IMG]

9. tash189

tash189 New Member

Hi NP

I haven't been on here for awhile but just had a moment and thought I would log in to see what has been happening, an hour later I found I have read your whole thread!
    Thank you for posting your journey I really felt like I was with you the whole way! Felt your triumphs and your lows, still can see Aachi in my mind all tied up after his rearing accident. What an amazing horse to be so calm and trusting through that!!

I too have a young horse who I have had from a yearling (my profile pic sadly he is currently for sale :cry:), but we went through a lot of similar ups and downs together, they put you through a lot but it only makes you love them more I think.

I noticed that you haven't posted in here for a little while, how is Aachi going?

Thanks again for sharing your journey! Maybe you could turn this thread into some kind of novel, you certainly had me hooked like a good book haha! :)

Cheers
    Tash :))

10. Northern Peregrine

Hi Tash
    Glad you enjoyed reading about our (mis)adventures. :) All is still well. Aachi is enjoying his jumping lessons with Rick and I take him to regular dressage lessons and we attend ARC as well. He's really growing up now . His brain is beginning to catch up with his big body ..finally. He still has the attention span of a goldfish but things are getting better. I've haven't been on for a while ... my daughter just got married and most of my energy has gone in to that recently but I'm glad I checked back in today and saw your post :)

11. Northern Peregrine

Just a random photo opportunity :) Luckily only one of us is 'over the hill' though..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  12. Northern Peregrine

Just a quick update on the goof.
    Legs ..his and mine..still all fine. Have been attending adult riders a few times this year but haven't been to any more shows yet. Main problem is still the forwardness especially in canter ( cantering is still very much a work in progress for me) but things , overall, are heaps better now. He's still working with Rick on his flat work and jumping ..and of course the Arsey Aachi Attitude still pops out now and then.
    He's just hit 17.2 hh and I'm beginning to suspect he may go a bit taller yet. He'll be six in October so don't know what the likelihood of his predicted 18 hands ..predicted by Fred Watkins :) ..will be. I turned fifty a few days ago ...I think I might be shrinking though.
    One thing of note is that we have recently started learning to do Liberty training with a lady called Louise. After a couple of lessons, I now know that Liberty is MUCH harder than it appears but will keep on with it, as I find it challenging and Aachi is starting to pick it up well. Could be a whole new thing for us :)

First Liberty lesson.
    Doesn't look like much but it took quite a bit of hard work to get to the 'attachment' stage shown here.. The Normal Aachi would have just high-tailed it off in the opposite direction..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014