Aachille's First Week At The Breakers

Discussion in 'Training Horses' started by Northern Peregrine, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Northern Peregrine

Northern Peregrine Well-known Member

I was almost going to post these pics in the "Too Old For A Young Horse? thread where I've mentioned this fella before but I figured he deserved his own thread..with hopefully positive things to add in future when he comes home :) Aachi's a 17 hand ( heading for 17.2) WB by Elouera Quixote and he's just turned four. Here he is with Ed ..who is doing a great job with him..from BC Horse Training in his first week of training.

[​IMG]
    Longreining midweek

[​IMG]
    First ride ever

2. Jemima

Jemima Active Member

He is Georgeous! Looks like he is taking his new job all in his stride :)

3. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Looking good!

4. Nicki

Nicki Well-known Member

Very nice! Cute how small the saddle looks on him :D

5. Northern Peregrine

Thanks guys. I'm feeling quite hopeful about him. I was fairly worried that at 48 I really was "too old" and creaky for a first time young horse ( he's not my first big WB though) and I would end up having to sell him, but now I'm thinking he just might be alright for me. He did some trotting and cantering yesterday on his second ride and the only "fault" mentioned, so far, is that he can be quite lazy.... I'm not sure if I mind that so much though :)

6. crave

crave Well-known Member

I love him :)

7. Sim

Sim Well-known Member

He's lovely :))

8. PF

PF Active Member

So pleased to see him looking so relaxed and happy (like he usually is) and that his previous "false start" hasn't seemed to set him back. He is a gorgeous boy with personality to burn. Lets hope he continues to come along well.

9. JustJam

JustJam Well-known Member

I am following your journey with interest, Northern Peregrine ;)

I kinda hope Trojane pops in for a look-see... I'm not sure about Trojane, but I'm not much older than 48 *#) and if you can bring on a young horse NP, then there is hope for Trojane and I! lol :D

10. Northern Peregrine

These are pictures from today of his fifth ride and second time in the arena.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

First time with trot poles...giving them heaps of clearance. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

He is really nice. He looks really big. Makes the rider look pretty small, or is the rider small anyway?????

12. Coda Cowgirl

Coda Cowgirl Well-known Member

Eddies not that small but hes not tall either! Looks like Ed is giving him a wonderful start Northern Perigrine!

13. Northern Peregrine

Yes I would say Ed is about average height. Aachi is just big. Hope he makes me look small too...I could use a bit of that.

14. Northern Peregrine

Btw have to admit that I was a bit worried about the "false start" too :) He was sent to a breakers ( NOT BC, I hasten to add) in September and after about 3 days there he had an accident in the round yard ( no one knows what happened as he was apparently alone at the time) and completely extracted a permanent front tooth and had a small fracture in the upper jaw. All has healed up extremely well now but he was very funny about his mouth after..not just about the injury which was extremely painful but probably because of all the mucking about with jaw x-rays, mouthwashes, etc.. so I am really pleased he seems happy with the bit in there.
    This was the damage..

WARNING.. close-up gory gum photo to follow ( courtesy of Bullsbrook Vet :)

[​IMG]

15. Northern Peregrine

Making the trip down south to Ed and Jo's for my very first ride on him tomorrow morning. Feeling a mixture of excitement and nervousness at the moment. Hopefully all goes well and the OH manages to take some decent photos ..for once :)

16. RubyLou

RubyLou Active Member

I am glad I have come on and found this thread I was only just wondering how Achillies was going :) I hope you have a wonderful ride tomorrow.
    About the lazy bit......it must run in the family as his sister is extremely lazy only does what she has too.*#) Love her to bits though:wub:

17. Northern Peregrine

Went for my first ride on the boy today ..he's been with Ed and Jo just on three weeks now. He's very lazy and a bit stubborn . We had a couple of minor tiffs about him going forward which he didn't get away with ( he quickly worked out I'm not nearly as competent as Ed ) but all was fine otherwise. Really happy with him so far :)

Our first ride

[​IMG]

18. RubyLou

RubyLou Active Member

He looks amazing :) YOu must be very pleased:D

19. Northern Peregrine

Yes, I am pleased with him, so far. Really looking forward to my next ride..hopefully on the following weekend. Sadly BC is three hours drive south for me or I'd go out every day :) I've gone from thinking that I probably shouldn't be having a young horse at all to planning (maybe) trying some low level eventing with him in the future . Ed has gone over some small jumps with him already and he shows a lot of boldness. But maybe I'm just getting over-excited though because, have to admit, I've never ever done any eventing before :lol:

20. Northern Peregrine

Aachi's been out for his first bush ride with Ed at the weekend and apparently was not at all bothered by a mob of kangaroos suddenly heading down the hill towards him ( even though the experienced horse with him spooked) so I think I might finally have myself a decent, safe trail horse.

Start of week 5. Jo began riding him today and is "fine tuning" him in the arena ..working on lateral bending and flexing and forward transitions. She says he is huge to ride but lovely and quiet... and that she looks like "a pimple on a pumpkin" :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012