A thread for non-gold members

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Noelle, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Morning CMBR. OK I lied...:p I'm back in quickly just to say Savannah looks a lot happier this morning although still lame, and I have realised this is another reason to love hoof boots: when you need to poultice, once you've strapped on the poultice, you just grab a hoof boot 2 sizes too big (one of Prycie's) and whack it on on top of the bandage. Voila, protection and no dirt, and she can go out in the small paddock with the others knowing that the bandage won't wear through during the day while I'm at work.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
  2. katelol

katelol Guest

Morning all @)

Anna I'm so glad you know whats up with Savannah now, I've been meaning to ask about her.

I'm compiling a little list in my head of why horses get hoof abcesses and it seems to be any kind of change or trauma at all. Savannah moved house and lost weight, bang - hoof abcess.

Silvy had a nasty cut on her leg including stitches and antibiotics, a few weeks later - hoof abcess in that leg.

I suppose the nasty toxic stuff has to come out somewhere

3. CMBR

CMBR Well-known Member

Glad to hear Savannah looks happier :) Hope she gets all better soon!

Getting worried about my paddock. Its so waterlogged. Worried the ponies are going to get some foot thing because its so wet! not muddy just wet!!

The horses eat grass and drink at the same time whilst the ducks swim around!

4. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Seems to be that way Katelol.
    I was trying to explain to a friend last night why they get hoof abscesses when there is no external wound to let the bugs in, and he just looked at me and said "Well THAT'S a bad piece of design"... and he's right!
    Pretty sure Savannah's started with a really good stone bruise as she was acutely lame after having a hoon in the paddock, then sort of got better, then got lame again. But she qalso moved from lush soft irrigated dairy country in Harvey to our rocks and gravel.
    We have weeks of bandages ahead as it's broken open at the sole and it's a pretty big hole, but that's OK - we're in no hurry.

5. katelol

katelol Guest

Thats the trouble with evolution though, its a totally arse about way of designing anything. All you have to do to evolve is not die young and manage to breed at least once :p

If, on the other hand, you believe in some overpowering deity who designed everything you could get pretty cranky with them for screwing up like that :))

6. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Morning everyone! Bit chilly this morning :( was spoilt in the last few days with some warmer weather - then it rained (4ml!) yesterday so it's cold again. I got so excited that we were on the home straight to spring :p *#)

Trying to work out if I'm game to ride Dave or not :eek: Might lunge him before I ride - back when I was lunging him for a bit before every ride we didn't go too badly? ';' it usually battles to be 5 minutes all up anyway. Then we do groundwork. Have to see how that goes...

7. Pintaloosa

Pintaloosa Well-known Member

Morning everyone!
    It's a beautiful day here today. I'm staying at my Nanna's house and you can see the beach from her house. The water is so blue! It's awesome :) My Nanna left yesterday, but she is coming home today because her blood is too thin to operate on her which sucks. She has been going through a lot lately and now she has to spend another week worrying and putting up with some horrible symptoms :( It really sucks, but at least the weather isn't miserable on top of it all.

8. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Enjoy your ride Diana :D

Katelol - in your theory of abscesses, what do you think about the age of the horse? I was also pondering about abscesses .. I have yet *touch wood* to have an abscess with my 2 mares (both over 18, had Hon and Danni since they were 17, Hon is older). I was wondering if, in your ponders, you thought that age, the way they were treated (years ago, less/no options for supplements, various feeds, the way we worked the horse, etc) comes into play?
    Just a thought :)

Morning cmbr :) and everyone! B-e-a-utiful weather!

9. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Sad to hear about your Nanna Pintaloosa!! :(
    The beach sounds lovely though!

10. Diana

Diana Gold Member

I've been lucky with Dave - no abscesses :eek: and he's been moved a fair bit with me...but he is usually in a big paddock and it hardly rains here *#) so he's got plenty of movement & there's usually somewhere he can go with no mud :)

11. Noelle

Noelle Gold Member

OK guys, admin has advised that due to the size of this thread it will be closed.

The good news is part 2 will be opened.

12. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Wow serious? :( bummer :( I hope it gets special treatment in the archives *#)

13. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Aww nnooo!!
    At least we were all part of Stockies history ;)

14. farfromhome

farfromhome Well-known Member

Noooo bye GD thread pt 1

15. Murray

Murray Well-known Member Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.