A thread for non-gold members Part 2

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Noelle, Aug 8, 2012.

1. BellaSkip

BellaSkip Well-known Member

another diitto here. esp electric :|

2. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Sure darlings. I raise two kids, myself, dog and cat (on premium biscuits and raw meat), horse, 16 chooks, two fish, small mortgage, commodore on less than $600 per week.

My kids eat like pigs. Lots of fresh food, very limited processed food.

Ask away, and I am sure others can offer suggestions too.

3. BellaSkip

BellaSkip Well-known Member

okay how would you feed a 25kg dog and a 20kg dog. currently on generic bikkies, and a mix of bones 9with meat on) scraps, and roll. my main priority is nutrients and cost.

big dog has tried chicken mine etc and it made her sick.

4. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

My biggest tips to keep the power bill down would be this:

* dont use power to heat your home if you can help it. I have reverse cycle, but had a fireplace installed as cheaper than using power to heat the house. If you have to use power, then close off every single room that you are not using and use door sausages to stop the warm air going into those rooms. Close curtains to stop the air going out the windows.

* Dont use power to dry our clothes. Hang a line under the back patio for winter, or place essentuals in front of the fire at night.

* If you have solar hot water, dont leave the power booster on....it is the biggest chewer of power I have ever found! I only turn mine on for half an hour in winter before shower time. I use cold water for the rest of the day.

* Run your dishwasher and washing machine at night when the power is cheaper. I use my dishwasher everynight and my power bill is cheap. I have a dishwasher that heats cold water by choice as that is cheaper than turning on the booster for hot water for the dishwasher, or for washing dishes by hand. Definately use a dishwasher! Use cold washes unless no option, due to how dirty the clothes are. If I need to do a warm wash, I will wait for a nice fine day when the solar has heated the water up well and then do the warm wash as that is basically free warm water.

* Lights dont chew power much, but dont have lights on in rooms that are empty....train kids to be power rangers and turn off lights.

* Anything with a standby light, turn off at the switch.

* Old fridges and freezers are a power chewer. If you cant get a new fridge, then make sure that the seals are not damaged. Dont have a bigger fridge and freezer than what you need.

* Dont have a bigger TV than what you need.

For those that are renting, you kind of have to put up with what you currently have, but when moving into a new rental, think about these things and try to get a rental with solar hot water, fireplace, dishwasher, back patio, gas cooker/oven and insulation.

Thats all I can think of at the mo.

Bare in mind, I am home most of the time, using power most of the time, computer, kettle (a lot) etc, so you girls who are away working all day should have no power usage except the fridge/freezer while your out.

When you get your bills come in, always try to round the bill up to the nearest $100, or $50. So if my power bill is $75, I pay $100 which gets me ahead a bit.

Pay insurance monthly.

Have a good mobile/internet plan and pay extra. So mine is $89 for the both per month and I pay $100. One day I will be really tight, and I will be thankful that I am ahead.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
  5. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

I pay $10 to $15 a week on our power bill and gas bill. That way I only end up with a small bill when its due. That I have found has helped heaps!

Bellaskip- my kelpie is roughly 25kg. He gets Optimum biscuits and 1/2 a can of coles brand dog food every night. He won't eat biscuits unless he gets yummies with it. I only buy the nig bags of optimum when they are on special at Coles. I have found that brand to be really good. I tried supercoat but needed to feed too much to keep weight on my dog. With optimum he only needs 2 cups a night. 7kg bag on special is $30 and will last my dog about 3 weeks.

6. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

My dog is small, but I used to have big dogs and I have found that the premium biscuits work out cheaper in the long run. I use the advanced brand, which the cat and dog have down 24/7 and then I give them raw roo/chicken/lambs hearts at night only. Only about a cup between them of raw meat. Obviously your dogs would laugh at that, so I would give them half a chicken carcass (raw) each night. They used to be two dollars each carcass, so that would be $14 per week, plus the bixs. The bigger the bag you can afford to buy, the cheaper per kilo they are. My dog and cat only eat 1/4 cup each per day of bixs and are in excellent condition. I dont know how much you would need to feed your dogs, but I would guess 3 cups, so perhaps 2 cups in the morning and 1 cup at night with the half chick carcass, and any leftover dinner scraps.:)*

edited to add: never feed the dog rolls!

7. GoneRama

GoneRama Gold Member

Good read, thanks Deb **)

8. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Oh, and next time you buy a dog, choose a teeeny tiny weee one. They are cheaper to feed.:)*

9. katelol

katelol Guest

My 2 doggies weigh about 32 kilos each. I feed them mostly pedigree dry food ($27 for 15 kilos from BigW) and about 150g of a roo/chicken mix mince each per day. It would cost less than $10 a week to feed the 2 of them and they look great :)*

I used to feed them Woofbix ($17 for 15kilos) but I'm a bit richer now and they tell me the pedigree is better :p

My power bills are around $70 a month, I turn everything off during the day except the fridge and I leave a radio on to make the house seem occupied :eek:
    I don't own a clothes dryer and I have gas hot water and a gas room heater.

My gas bills are about $70 a quarter in summer but go up to $110 in winter :)

10. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

Wow Deb, that is some seriously organised budgeting :))

I was thinking about my budget the other day - apparently my incomings just dont quite match up with my outgoings ';'
    Anyway, what to do, what to do, I put my thinking cap on :confused:
    OMG, I Know - why not get a job, right ?
    This was the best idea I'd had in a long time so I was pretty pleased with myself and announced to my husband that I was going to get a job because I would like a little more cash for those important little things I forget to budget for (you know, like electricity and stuff like that), and he says - what a brilliant idea, I'll be able to reduce your allowance then :)).
    :eek::eek: Pardon Dear!!
    Now why oh why, pray tell, would I go and get and job only to have my income reduced???
    This was something I could not come to terms with I can tell you if I had of had a job at that time, I would still be on stress leave after hearing his reponse!

11. Deb2

Deb2 Guest

Oh dear me Nat! You hubby a cheeki sod!:p

12. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Hehehe Natty you're a crack up :D

13. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

I know Deb, true!
    What WAS he thinking ';'
    I know it's comical - but this is a true story and happened quite recently.
    I was speechless! Even just thinking about it now gets me in a fluster !
    Silly boy !

14. Diana

Diana Gold Member

Hang on...you get an allowance!?!?

My hubby must be due for a software update... :}

15. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I get an allowance.

But its not too hard to get a bonus - think clean sheets.

:eek:

16. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

A software update ?
    Now Di is that a euphemism for the whole clean sheet discussion :p or something else ?:eek:

Do you want to 'encourage' him to give you an allowance or upgrade him?

17. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

Exactly what I was thinking NG **)

18. Diana

Diana Gold Member

:eek: HAHAHA! Well, I was thinking your OH must be like Hubster 2.3 whereas mine must only be up to 2.2 :p

New update should contain
    - allowance for wifey
    - bonus for wifey when code: cleansheets is used

;) *#)

19. Nattyh

Nattyh Guest

That's so funny Di :p

Put that order in and let us know how you get on with it :)*

20. Diana

Diana Gold Member

I'm on it *#) ;)

New sheets day *#)