A thread for non-gold members Part 2

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by Noelle, Aug 8, 2012.

1. katelol

katelol Guest

Its funny how different opinions are on these things :eek: I remember the bad old days when you could only get canvas rugs. I hate them, big, heavy, smelly, soggy things that take days to dry and stretch all out of shape.

I love the new, lightweight synthetics. So dry and warm and tough and cheap. I would never go back **)

2. Diesel91

Diesel91 Well-known Member

i converted the other way from synthetics to canvas. Have never had a problem with them taking days to dry ? water runs off mine straight away doesnt soak in. Love them,synthetic is on the burn pile after tearing to bits.

3. Shenalar

Shenalar Well-known Member

Noelle, you should put a link to the first one in the first post of this one so we don't lose it way way way down the list eventually :)

I'm still sick...... My boss is making me go to the docs cos she is convinced I am going to get pneumonia cos I have left it 'too long to go' lol
    Who wants to bet that all he says is to go home and rest!
    On a good note, she is making me have the rest of the week off (cos she doesn't want to catch it), but I am so bored! I can't believe I scored a week of the Olympics off and it's not even on in the daytime!!
    Oh well, that's enough about me *#)

Hope everyone has a good day :)

4. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Canvas rugs are old fashioned and old period. They will get wet unless coated, stink and get hard after drying. I hate them with a passion. Though they are cheap to buy, they also are easy to rip regardless of whether you get 20 oz or 120 oz....lolol

The new synthetic ones are fully breathable (and they do breath) unlike canvas wich is just a woven blend of mixes. Ever tried lifing one that has been on a horse for 5 wet days? Imagine having to carry that wet blanket around all day.

Horses who wear canvas lined rugs ( usually lined with a cheaper woolly lining) are more likely to get skin conditions too. Put your hand up underneath one that is wettish outside and feel how moisty warm it is - YUCK a breeding ground for fungal infections!

The ripstop ballistic type material of synthetics means that it is completely impervous to water getting in and the lining stays fluff dry. It also allows excessive moisture to stay off the coat.

A good synthetic will last seasons.

Canvas = caravan annex material.....lolol Horse clothes have joined the 21st century thank God!

5. katelol

katelol Guest

I think that the canvas rugs look so uncomfortable for the horse. They slip and slide, they are heavy and look stiff and uncomfy and hold the water when they get drenched.

I've never had a problem with horses getting too hot under the synthetics but I only ever use one at time. In fact, I don't understand why people put more than one on a horse? I buy them cotton lined and with different filler weights so I can change them according to the weather. Why layer them? Thats another thing that looks uncomfy to me :eek:

Cheeki, my (new, shorter) answer about my abcess theory is that I believe that abcesses are caused when the horses immune system is affected (colic, infection, virus etc or just a noticeable change in the horses circumstances like a very different feed source). Once the immune system has won the battle the nasties have to come out somewhere, hence the abcess.

So age and past life experience would only be a factor if they have compromised the horses immune system **)

6. mav

mav Well-known Member

i got one from brigadoon stockfeeds - a synthetic rainsheet rug only - still cost me a small fortune but its effective for what i needed it for...

poor mav destroyed his halter over the weekend - spelling people needed another one and the only one i could find at short notice without digging through random tack boxes (i have many a storage place for my many random tack things :p) is a hot pink one *#) spellers are not happy putting it on him (he is a very blokey bloke) and is apparently worried about it affecting his mascalinity... i can quite confidentaly say after watching him have numerous man crushes i think it suits him perfectly haha :D

7. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

Geez where are you guys buying your canvas rugs from??!!!! :eek:

I have a Skye Park for my girl and it is BRILLIANT. Certainly not cheap either, EVP. I'm an ex canvas rug user, who switched over to synthetics, and has now realised how "breathable" they AREN'T, so I'm back to canvas. Oh, and my synthetics are all expensive ones - WB, Rambo etc. So can hardly say I got what I paid for with them. #(

8. mav

mav Well-known Member

im not a fan of canvas but only because mr fatty boombah doesnt fit in them nicely - even a sky park i borrowed off a friend to try just didnt sit right... mind you he is also a relatively cold horse so i find he isnt too worried about the synthetics and being too warm..

9. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

Aahh yes, I understand what you're saying now :D thanks :D

I love the canvas vs synthetic discussion :D

10. Diana

Diana Gold Member

I have a canvas on my boy but it's only for rain & wind. Other than that he can man up *#) he's got enough of a fat layer *#) and fluff!! :eek:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  11. Cadabby

Cadabby Well-known Member

Abby is a hot horse, so canvas suits her better.

The Skye Parks fit her perfectly (which is why she has the SP cottons as well - champagne tastes my girl has!) whereas other rugs rub her enormous shoulders. Don't tell her I said her shoulders are enormous... *#)

I don't like the part 2 thing. Bring back part 1 I say. I know it won't happen because it's "been decided" but I don't like the thought of all the lovely gold diggers photos being locked up and the key thrown away. They'll get lost in the boondocks (somewhere around page 47) never to be seen again.

Or.... Admin could be really kind and make part 1 a sticky?!! Surely it's a history making thread and therefore worthy of "sticky status"?! :)*

12. Diesel91

Diesel91 Well-known Member

same as you cadaaby Arch is a hot horse who if the sun comes out on a rainy day gets hot in his synthetic so a canvas is a great option for him as it breathes great for him :) He is going out on spell ( dont tell him that or ill have more injuries to deal with) so im slowly trying to drop all rugs off. Atm is in a cotton and unlined canvas unless its a sunny day then he goes nakey.

13. katelol

katelol Guest

I found a local forum yesterday (NH) that has a similar type thread with as many posts and views - or I thought it was similar at first.

When I went in and had a look, all they use it for is abusing and name calling *#) it was completely revolting and so childish and more than a little racist. Sadly it seems to be a forum for professionals too :}

14. I havent had a synthetic rug that lasted as long as my canvases.:)))
    The best canvas rugs I invested in 15 years ago (Sunset Rugs) are still in one peace and water proof. They are lined, light and have the best fit ever. But...they are much dearer to buy. ;)
    The longest any of synthetic rugs survived at our place was for 3 seasons.

15. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Synthetic rugs come in a huge range of weights and fibre fillings. The ones I have ever bought clearly have a temp guide too. The last lot were under 20degC. If your horse walks fences or is stabled then this would need to be considered.

I liken canvas horse rugs to cloth nappies........and in this day and age most people use synthetic disposable ones!

I think having to spray waterproofing on them actually proves just how ineffective they are at keeping water out - why get a rug that you need to coat?

I am also concerned about the effects of the poison you need to spray on to do this? Toxic or what......and then a horse who likes to rip/chew on them?

No way, 20 oz of wet canvas actually weighs like 30kg and contains enough heated fungal spores and bacteria to cause scald and weepies in a herd of horses.

YUCK! Give me the lightweight pillow warm rug that you can hose the outside off quickly (for the mud larks) and curry brush the inside and even wipe over with an antibacterial solution before drying in 10 minutes!

ETA: I don't know what percentage of 'canvas rugs' are actually NATURAL material.......certainly not like Jute (which I love for polishing coats like a mirror). I think the "canvas" used in horse rugs isn't 100% natural?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  16. Anna E

Anna E Guest

Unlined canvases all the way... I just adjust what is underneath to suit the conditions. Means you only have to wash the under rugs as well, not the whole thing.
    Joe is currently sporting Ascot canvases which are in their second season and so far have survived his rug destroying tendencies... He has in the past had Weatherbeeta, Saxon and Ascot synthetics and trashed them all with gay abandon. So he has been banished to canvas land... But I don't think he's uncomfortable or cold..
    I have not put additional waterproofing on them since I have had them.
    I tend to use an unlined canvas (Joe is trace clipped) with either a cotton (day) or fleece (night) underneath. I have a collection of these and on REALLY wet days, the under rug might have started to get damp but not sopping. So I swap for the spares. Breathing goes 2 ways so everything dries out faster after a shower with canvas as well, even when they are still on the horse.
    However, I live in a 350mm annual rainfall area... so I cannot comment for people who may have to endure weeks on end of rain.

17. ZaZa

ZaZa Guest

I use both synthetics an canvas depending on the horse. All the advertsing material and palaver in the world will never convince me that a synthetic can 'breathe' as well as a canvas !
    My hot horses are in canvases (mainly only Skye Parks at my house too !) and the cooler horses have synthetics generally. I do have some of each for each horse though so I've got all bases covered regardless of the weather. :p

18. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

Wow thanks guys.

I have done the do I go canvas or stay synthetic thing for the last 2 years. Have to say i'm a sucker for pretty colours! *#)

so I'm getting rid of my combos. Have had enough. LOL

Saxons any good or do I just suck it up and spend $150 for a WB rainsheet? LOL

anything over 20 degrees and my polony is naked anyway. Rain or shine LOL

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2012
  19. Freestyle

Freestyle Well-known Member

I'm the same as Zaza.

I use the synthetic combos for warmth on the really feral days, but a sunset rugs unlined canvas over a cotton if it's weird weather like today or on hot horses.

With canvas rugs you get what you pay for and some are certainly very cheap and nasty #(

20. SexyRitzy

SexyRitzy Well-known Member

Diana-yep i did but I don't want a combo ;)