60mins

Discussion in 'Open Discussions' started by chick_with_a_chainsaw, Oct 5, 2008.

1. chick_with_a_chainsaw

chick_with_a_chainsaw Gold Member

anybody watching it?

all these 18+ year olds spending tonnes and tonnes on credit and now they are whining blaming everybody else for the fact that they have racked up thousands of dollars worth of debt. one girls got nothing in the bank but going to buy a $60 000 car on credit. wtf

if you cant afford to pay it back dont get a damn credit card and dont spend it on crap

2. wildsteel

wildsteel Well-known Member

i got a $500 limit because i knew i couldnt afford anything else.

sometimes banks will give u a credit card with a higher limit than you ask for, like they offered me 5000 and i was like NO NO NO NO lol

3. Ace

Ace Well-known Member

Yep- I didnt watch the story but I know someone close to me that sounds like that. Get a credit card, rack up a bill, borrow money to pay it off then get another credit card... doesnt make sense to me!

4. chick_with_a_chainsaw

im good dont have a credit card.
    i know they can be handy but if you know you cant pay the money back why go for one that gives you the large amount of dollars to spend. just because its offered doesnt mean you have to take it and if you do dont whine that you have no money

5. JessiTrist

JessiTrist Well-known Member

I dont have a credit card.

I did get a loan to buy my car and float though, and have a short term loan and havent missed a payment. Im very careful though, and made sure I had job security before I applied for the loan.

6. liver bird

liver bird Well-known Member

hahahahaha stupid kids . bring back national service sort them out . i do know lots of responsible kids who are a credit to ther parents but i must say they r gettin harder to find . bring back the old values of respecting your elders. a good smack now and again and the fear of the consequences of your actions did not turn me into a rapist ,mass murderer, pimp ,junkie, drug dealer or prostitute so no excuse get over it#(

7. WITCHERY

WITCHERY Well-known Member

I love 60 mins it is one of my favourite programs are you watching it now....

people who want to stay young

8. chick_with_a_chainsaw

WITCHERY
    yer im watching it as well.

cant say i will pump myself full of hormones and drugs to stay young but keeping up the exercise i can do.

9. samm

samm Gold Member

Good girl.

My Dad always told me if you can't afford to pay cash you can't afford it !
    I've always lived by that.I don't have a credit card,I don't have a cheque book(got rid of it when the stupid bank took out a $200 stamp duty on a cheque book instead of $2).I pay everything cash.

10. Riffraff

Riffraff New Member

I cant believe how blaze' these girls are about their spending? "oh I'll just go bankrupt" goin bankrupt is NOT a good solution :eek:

11. Pockets

Pockets Gold Member

It doesn't add up! How can she spend $1500 a week on her credit card,buy a $60 000 car and only earn $35 000-think they've done some editing??

12. Premier

Premier Well-known Member

I have made my mistakes when i am younger, I wont ever have a credit card again.

Interesting enough i know alot of people not Gen Y doing the same thing, alot comes down to how you are raised thats for sure.

Good wake up call though but god that girl buying a 60,000 car I wanted to hit ha ha

kinda understand the student cause i have been there done that hello 20k hecs debt

13. chick_with_a_chainsaw

yer the student thing is sort of unavoidable but the one going to buy the car wth honestly should have someone slap some sense into her.

ill just go bankrupt? umm im sure its not as asy as that

14. blitzen

blitzen Gold Member

i'm not watching the show, but i can sympathise somewhat. i too was brought up with the "if you cant pay cash, don't buy it" mantra, but somehow the spending gene mutated in me & i got myself a credit card (with a reasonable c.limit. which i've maxed out) and a variety of personal loans.

meh. it sucks & i feel guilty & i hate having to lose a 1/4 of my take home pay to cover pAyments on things... but it happens. i don't think i'm a terrible person who is going to hell simply because i have bought some things (incl my saddle!) on credit.

15. WITCHERY

WITCHERY Well-known Member

What about the calorie counter diet ! Starve yourself and you will grow old!

16. Premier

I think it is pretty easy to file for bankruptcy but it will just stuff you for life

Sure mummy and daddy will bail her out

kinda wish sometimes i didnt make the mistakes i have, bit depressing when the OH has a heft house deposit and I have a heft debt, however he has 4 years work on me.

17. chick_with_a_chainsaw

nah ill just grow old naturally or convert to all natural stuff and be 110 like that women

blitzen but you felt guilty/bad these kids dont SEEM judging from what was shown care about spending that much money

18. Premier

I am like you Blitz :)

Parents however are the same, i was brought up in a house hold of if you want it you can have it, hell dad has bought 3 cars in the last 6 months very scarey, lucky they now earn the $$$$ to support it I on the otherhand dont earn the income to support my habit.

I am however credit card free, supporting myself living alone and my animals and paying hecs debt off and loan, it can be done, kinda wish i had done things differently but you get that

19. taeliesyn

taeliesyn Well-known Member

I will admit to having a credit card with a fairly large credit limit. However I only use it as most people use an access card. I don't actually use the credit function. Only reason I use the credit card instead of an access card is I get Frequent Flyer points for using it.

That all said I didn't see the show, but by the sounds of it these people need a serious reality check.