5 Horses Dead in Gold Coast Hinterland

Discussion in 'News Items' started by Redsticks, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Redsticks

Redsticks Well-known Member

2. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

very sad..3 were found laying on kooralbyn road..and died..all were absolutly covered in ticks

3. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

4. Arnie

Arnie Gold Member

Wow that is very scary indeed. I'd like to know who was caring for the horses while the owner was in WA? And just what their fed and what their water source is.

I'll be watching the story closely!

5. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

OMG ! :( after coming so close to losing little Tissy, and not knowing what it was, I feel for the owner.

RIP horses & hugs sent to all involved

Lee

6. opsnormal

opsnormal Active Member

Saw this on the news tonight, so sad. Hopefully they get some answers quickly!

7. Gemgem

Gemgem Well-known Member

Just saw this on the news. I hope they get to the bottom of it!

8. Sharaway

Sharaway Well-known Member

9. feather feet

feather feet Well-known Member

just unreal..:(

10. Sugar's Mum

Sugar's Mum Gold Member

on weekend sunrise they said 17 now dead.

how devastating.

11. mylittlepony

mylittlepony Well-known Member

I wonder if they were on clover? Or fed clover hay?
    I friend of mine just recently lost 12 pregnant mares to poisoning from clover filled medow hay.
    Apparently it's the first case of it seen in WA, but there is something in clover that can kill horses. I'm not sure on all the details as I was too busy sympathising with my friend. I know symptoms were bleeding from the eyes and ears. I wonder if these horses over east may have had something similar?
    12 dead pregnant mares and a $26,000 vet bill, he is devastated.:(

12. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

wow ! I've never heard of that one before ! I know Clover can be high in oestrogen and/or estrogen

New varieties keep clover disease in check | NSW Department of Primary Industries

Red Clover Herb extract review supplement for menopause?

Cheers
    Lee

13. mylittlepony

Yeah, I'd never heard of it either! It had the vets stumped for ages, until I think they contacted some vets from the eastern states who had dealt with it before. It's apparently the only case of it to ever happen in WA. I will try to get more info when he's not so upset, but will be unable to name him as he is very well known in WA racing and also owns a well known stallion.
    I am now paranoid about the meadow hay I feed. I will only ever buy the hay from one person now.
    I certainly don't envy him his massive vet bill. So much money and he still lost 12 pregnant mares.:(

14. Hen

Hen Well-known Member

That's awful MLP :( poor bloke. My paddocks are lush with clover, hope no-one carks it :eek::( But a good reminder to stick to cereal hay this season.

15. nannygoat

nannygoat Gold Member

I am surprised that there has been nothing on this on the news??? Or Veterinary boards??

Is a terrible loss of so many horses not to be warning others of the risks.

16. mylittlepony

Maybe they are keeping it quiet for now out of respect for the owner, I don't know. As I said, this is the only case of it ever seen in WA, so it's not like it's something everyone will have to worry about. I know that the affected hay was collected up and destroyed.
    I'm sure sometime in the future they will print an article about it or something, maybe when the horses owner is a bit less upset. I will get more details later on about exactly what happened.
    You have to understand that things like this can be very damaging to reputations in the racing industry, even though the owner could have done nothing to prevent it.

17. Ponies4Me

Ponies4Me Well-known Member

PM results due in today or tomorrow. After moving the remaining horses to another property they now have another two down sick this morning.

Hendra/ticks/starvation all ruled out. Hope the owners get some answers soon :(

Bio security have released a statement stating the death toll is now 21, out of 25 horses.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  18. citygirl

citygirl Gold Member

mylittlepony @) I'd love to know if the Hay he had used had come from a Seed supply ! :confused:

I too have clover in my paddocks and have seeded a meddow hay crop.

mmm I might ring the Agricultural dept. Vet and see what he has to say on it, as hes located in your area.

Cheers
    Lee

19. mylittlepony

Might be worth asking citygirl. I'm a little worried too. This happened up near perth though, not down here. I know that the guy selling the hay was just a farmer and wasn't a najor supplier to horsey people.
    The only other info I have is it also had something to do with the amount they ate as well. He has yearlings affected,too, but apparently they survived as they hadn't stood around all day gorging themselves like the broodmares did.

20. jacko88

jacko88 Well-known Member

Arnie, the owner is a fly in, fly out job so he is away and then home again. However, his partner stays at home to keep an eye on things.

These particular horses had only just been moved there to this agistment paddock and it wasn't long after that when they started going down.