$305 for one show!!

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by HalcyonStables, Jan 28, 2010.

1. simbin

simbin Gold Member

Guys I'm not competing yet and really enjoy going to watch and take part so if anyone wants me as a helper so you dont need to pay the fee just PM me really I enjoy it much more than just going and watching and not really being involved.

2. Love Shack

Love Shack New Member

Showing and keeping horses is very expensive. Always has been always will be. Its just the way it is :))

3. Elanda

Elanda Gold Member

OMG!!!!! on your fuel costs...I am heading to Bunbury on sunday towing float with horses...it will cost about $40 in fuel and I am only down the hill from you :confused:

4. Tallarook

Tallarook Well-known Member

Welcome to the expenses of showing. HOTY for my stables was a $900 cheque, Royal show was $800 (including ras membership).

It is very very costly, however i pick and choose where and what events i take my horses too. One of my jockeys is taking our 12h paly to the dressage at friday nights.....:)

5. pso

pso Gold Member

See- thats the crazy thing...you have to pay anyhow...even if you supply a helper...the theory is that you get it back if your helper does their job:}

6. Babe

Babe Well-known Member

hehe Miss Volunteer of the year you!*#)

Well I wish I had everyones fuel bills instead of mine!

Im not complaining tho, what else have I got to do on a weekend but drive 5 hours to a show...hahaha I must be loony right?:p;)

7. Prestige

Prestige Active Member

Try official eventing, is a very costly sport. But thems the breaks when you love the sport so much :)*

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  8. HorseSlave

HorseSlave Well-known Member

**Ahem** Perhaps you should look at a different sport?
    Team Penning costs:
    $40 for annual membership (one off fee)
    $35 for annual ABCRA insurance (again, one off fee)
    $50 entry fee for 3 go rounds

Only problems is it's addictive nature - just ask Mirawee :)

**walks away whistling**

Sorry, couldn't help but put in a plug! :D

9. sheesh! that's a lot but admittedly my fuel costs are prob double to triple that if I go eventing somewhere out of metro area. It's just one of those things - competing IS expensive so you basically have to write it off as your hobby as eventing IF you are lucky and get first or second (official) you may win back your entry fee and a bit more but if you're in the other majority 30 ish riders then you do it for love!

My O/H works shift so I'm also in same boat at some comps with no helper etc. Fortunately my little one is old enough now to hang by the sidelines or with a friend whilst I'm in the saddle but I know how you feel.

I'm all for people helping each other out - babysitting etc

If my new float was here I'd say we could share a lift - my boy doesn't fit into normal floats either lol but the new extended, raised roof etc is on order!

I keep saying we need to start a group / register etc of likeminded people with kids / requiring helper's etc :)

10. MinninupRoad

MinninupRoad Well-known Member

yep eventing is dam expensive too!!! there is no such thing as an entry fee under $120, petrol is usually costly as nothing is close and then there is food/drink etc!!!

but on saying that, i dont think twice about paying my entry fees because as an eventer we get so much bang for our buck so to speak, dressage judges, usually good dressage arenas, quality showjumps and amazing picturesque xc courses, everything is ALWAYS well run and on time etc, so i dont mind at all :eek:

11. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Jeez while we are at it why dont we go then to.

Cost of horse
    Cost of feed
    Cost of Farrier
    Show clothes
    Show Tack
    Food cost while at the show...bottle water is like gold
    Cost to your relationship, partners that argue about the cost

To me the cost is irrelevent if its what I love doing, there are far worse things I could be doing my dollars on.

Sorry Merrylegs, but I really hate seeing people complaining about how much it costs to do anything with horses, its not like you are being forced to do it or pay for it. It's your choice to own a horse, and your choice to show it.

We are so bloody lucky to live in a country where owing a horse is a possibility let alone affordable to even people on the dole.

12. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

Hardly turned against her, jeez thats taking it a bit far.

Seriously though if I put up here what it is costing us to go to the Bunbury all breed from Albany then you could all have a real cry, and i dont have kids or have to get a baby sitter.

I do have to put 2 dogs in the kennels and bribe a friend to feed my other horses for me.

If you want to save money on horses dont own one.

13. QH Rulz

QH Rulz Well-known Member

That sounds like my bill.... except i have 2 going (oh o) and they already live over there... so no transport costs included in that.

So yeah big ouch to my pocket.

Wish i could help you out merrylegs...

14. Ooh yeah thats a big one around here. Knock it off Shars, don't get your knickers in a knot. Sounds like you need a hug. Or something. *#)

Let me see, I think the last show I competed in... from memory was 3 classes at a breedshow which would have cost less than half. I am just suprised is all especially now I am a real grown up and have to budget properly :D Gone where the days of teenagehood when I just paid entry fees and my mates Dad took us and even bought us lunch! LOL

Its got me thinking on other ways to save $ and I've been chatting to a friend... if I only compete SOR we can share her float and go halves in the fuel bill, and I've also had another friend offer to be helper and if I stick to Sunday events I don't have to worry about a sitter.

Thanks for your feedback, all! **)

15. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

I will never knock back a hug, but thats more like it, now your thinking, thinking of ways to make showing more affordable, working with other friends to share the cost.

Thats how "team sharaway" was born, through friends sharing the cost and work load of the day.

Be part of the solution not the problem.

I would much rather read a thread about ways to make showing more affordable that straight up complaining about the cost.

16. SMR

SMR Well-known Member

ML, there are some good comps SOR ;) Also, training days are a great way for judge feedback on tests and are much cheaper.

17. maxntaz

maxntaz Well-known Member

Yep unfortunately horses are a costly "hobby". I went to perth last weekend from merredin.

4 lessons (2 on sat and 2 on sunday)
    2 horses for farrier
    Accom for one night
    Meals (dinner and breaky, i bought my lunch with me)
    fuel...

probably didnt have much change out of $500... the accom alone was $195 for one night and was the cheapest room they had - tried to get into a b & b but they all wanted $250-300 for one night..

it just what you have to do if you A) what regular lessons b) want a decent farrier... this is a weekend of lessons for me, not even thinking about the costs of going to a competition LOL

But I feel for you, as i feel for everyone else that owns a horse...

the old saying

Poverty is owning a horse (or two LOL)

18. Jonty3

Jonty3 Guest

OMG Max.....Brookleigh Estate has accommodation at $85 pnght!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2010
  19. PPH

PPH Guest

Don't go cutting then , lol. I show over 2 days, 4 classes andt 10 minutes total in the arena = $265 and that doesn't incude anything but entries( includes cattle hire and grounds fees.

20. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

How much does it cost to hire cattle ? Does anyone bring their own ?