$305 for one show!!

Discussion in 'Horse Showing and Events' started by HalcyonStables, Jan 28, 2010.

1. So I was planning to take my lad to the evening dressage at the SEC next month, so was working out how much to put aside.

I was gobsmacked to see it was going to cost me $305 for entering just 2 classes! Or $290 for 1 class!!

By the time I factored in fuel, float hire, babysitter, helper fee, entry fees, insurance, ground fee etc... (due to my circumstances I can't avoid all these fees, don't have a float, don't have anyone who could be helper etc)

... I am beginning to think I'll never get back into the show ring now :(

2. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

Yeah the fri night series isn't that cheap hey!

I entered all 3 nights, and it was over $300 before float hire and fuel!

3. madcow

madcow Guest

How come your's is so expensive?

I've entered the same competition and it's only cost me $87 to ride one test and I get $40 back after doing my helper duty so $47?

You you 'factored in' baby sitters etc to get that amount then?

4. Cheeki

Cheeki Gold Member

It's crazy, isn't it :( One of the reasons I'm in NO rush to get back into the show ring just yet ;)

We should have our own mini show :p

5. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Cost me $320 entries ground fee's levies etc etc at sec last year for four tests - We don't complain - We just don't go anymore

6. Float hire: $60
    Fuel: $60
    Babysitter: $60

Helper fee: $40
    Entry fee x 2 tests: $50
    Insurance Levy: $20
    Ground Fee: $15

TOTAL: $305

My OH works late Fridays, so would need a sitter, I can't borrow a float because the only one I could borrow large enough for my horse is in Baldivis so would cost almost as much in fuel to go fetch and then return it.

I don't have anyone who could be a helper, I also see no point in paying $200 for EWA membership then paying another $300 in July so I am just going to join in July so need to pay the insurance Levy too.

7. Sharaway

Sharaway Guest

So Merrylegs in all fairness $180.00 worth of your costs have nothing to do with the show.
    Float hire: $60
    Fuel: $60
    Babysitter: $60

None of these costs are the Events Fault.

8. Bon & Ted

Bon & Ted Guest

very true Sharaway.

But none the less, competing is getting more and more expensive!

9. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Mine cost $320 + fuel etc etc

10. madcow

madcow Guest

You could also do "Self Help" and get the $40 back from that as well....thats what I'm doing.

I'd offer to float down with me but I'm taking a stallion plus it sounds like you need an XL float (I've got a humble little Taylor)

Is there another riding Mum that you could 'swap' baby sitting duties with?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2010
  11. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Well I am going to pay $416 for one show :eek: And that is without factoring petrol/float (have my own) etc. Admittedly that is for 15 classes though :D

But the cost of dressage is once reason I am not in a rush to get Diva to any of the comps at SEC... I will wait and see how much they charge at other venues.

Although $60 for petrol seems very steep. That would over 3/4 fill my 4WD and most shows going the distance you have to SEC wouldn't use half a tank for a return trip and I have to go up and down Red Hill...

12. Beutey

Beutey Well-known Member

I was going to suggest what madcow said ;) Can you swap the baby sitting with someone. Can you hitch a ride with someone, and do your helper fee thing maybe even swap with someone alot of costs you could try and cut down on. If not that is alot of money just for that #(

13. Brew

Brew Well-known Member

Helper fee started in eventing to PAY jump judges.Now fees seem to have gone mad and events suffer.Population in Perth has doubled but show entries are down on ten years ago -I still have Eq notices from 1994 when you chose which show you went to on the weekend. Shows need help we all know this and helper fees were jacked up to make you help. Helper fees are now a part of expected income of a show. Different venues have different charges so we have to decide if we support them or not - It's up to you and for myself I don't. If you go to the supermarket to buy bread and find it is $100 a loaf do you just buy or do you look elsewhere ????????????

14. madcow

madcow Guest

The Friday night series is one of the more reasonable dressage comps price wise I think even with the SEC ground fees.

Summer Series and State Championships are defineately out of my reach financialy though......could have a holiday to Bali for what that would cost:p

15. Nowhere have I said it is the Event's fault. I clearly stated that this is what it is going to cost ME to do the show.

At this present moment in time, none of my horsey friends who have kids live anywhere near me, although one may be moving closer soon!

I have to factor in all these costs in order to budget for it. Yes it will cost me about $60 for fuel. I have to factor in going to fetch the float and returning it too to the hire place, and its a long drive from my place to the SEC with a 640kilo horse on board LOL

Yep Madcow, my lad is 17hh and although not as solid as a WB, he's as tall and as LONG as one haha, definately need a nice big extended to fit him in poor fella.

16. So anyone heading there from down my way who has a spare bay that'd fit my massive horse who wants to share fuel costs? (and hire if we have to hire?) Excellent floater :D

17. mirawee

mirawee Gold Member

Fair enough, Merrylegs. I am glad my car isn't that uneconomical though since I have 2 horses in the float more often than 1 when I tow!

Before looking for someone to share though I would contact the Club as I seem to remember hearing that entries for this competition are nearly full (and that was a week or so ago).

18. pso

pso Gold Member

My entries were rejected as I refused to pay the helper fee *#)

19. Its Party Time

Its Party Time Well-known Member

LOL I wish! Partys East Coast & Aussie Champs cost me $1900 and that doesn't
    include anything but our entries and stabling! I will never complain about the cost of a show here in WA again.;)

20. Remaani

Remaani Guest

Northam to Mt Barker towing 1 horse: $70. ;)