2012 Standardbred Yearlings Sale

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Caroline, Jan 31, 2012.

1. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Anyone can have an opinion.....only those who know what they are talking about can have a valid opinion. Anyone can have an opinion, they're like dreams, if you want to be seen to have a VALID opinion you have to have some knowledge on the subject.

Thanks for your contribution Smash. @)

2. smash

smash Well-known Member

well then i am sure you should be able to find the meaning of "Valid opinion" lol

3. EVP

EVP Gold Member

OM can you please point out in which post you say I claimed I was an "expert"?
    Could you also show where I have "run down the breed"?

You expected pacing?

And why would this be do you think?

And these few pearlers are the reason that there are "opinions" and then there are valid opinions worthy of having a sensible discussion.

4. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion...............

5. kp

kp Well-known Member

I really do think I need to clarify a few things OM. Don't know why I'm bothering, but you have some very strong opinions that aren't entirely fair. My background, I race, breed, rehabilitate, and have shown Standardbreds both under saddle and in hand. I also compete official dressage on a warmblood.

I have been involved in the industry for a number of years. I have dealt with a very large number of these horses, and with a lot of people also involved in the industry.

You are very harsh on the industry as some trainers choose to put horses down. There are a multitude of reasons why some choose to do this. Injury being one, poor temperament being another. I am always dismayed to find out someone re-homed a horse with a poor temperament or with a significant injury because they did not have the heart to put it down. That is not fair on the horse or the poor person taking it on.

However, the number one reason why these horses are put down is become the trainer does not want to come across a horse that has been neglected in a paddock. I have done this with some of my horses for this reason alone. Coming across something like that is the worst thing out. It breaks my heart. Unfortunately knowledgable homes for any horse is becoming harder to find. We live in a time poor society that does not have a lot of spare cash. Owning a horse is a luxury few can afford. I no longer re-home my horse unless I specifically know the person taking the horse on.

Standardbreds are lovely horses. Of course they can be ridden if someone chooses to. It is a free world. But if anyone thinks they are built the same and move the same as other breeds, well, I strongly disagree.

6. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

KP my comment that you quoted was not directed at you.

7. kp

kp Well-known Member

I figured that. I just get annoyed at the attitudes of some people with regards to Standardbreds. I understand, to a degree, your point of view. And also EVP's. Both your opinions are valid.

8. Gecko

Gecko Active Member

They are not bred to be riding horses, they are harness horses that is what I said. Hence why most are slab sided. Not made to put a saddle on its back. Do what you like with them but this is what purpose they were bred for.

9. old_mate

There are slab sided horses who are not standardbreds as well. Also riding horses who are hard to saddle fit.
    I take it you are a dogfood breeder then Gecko ?

10. Gecko

Gecko Active Member

good point but std breds are still harness horses.
    dogfood breeder are you serious? Not even answering that one.#(

11. old_mate

Yes I am what will happen to the Standardbreds after their racing days are over if you dont ride them ? There are not that many pleasure harness homes.
    You have stated that they are not for riding, so what do you propose is done with them ?

12. Gecko

Gecko Active Member

Not saying you cant ride them. go right ahead. lol

13. EVP

EVP Gold Member

For some absurd reason you seem to think that anyone who breeds standardbreds is "a dog food breeder". Apart from being a very rude comment, it shows a complete lack of knowledge on the entire equine industry in this country.

OTT horses form only a small percentage of those that end up at the dogger sales. The majority are crossbred horses and ponies from the pleasure industry.

The number bred each year is small compared to the entire equine population in this country - miniscule in comparison.

It also generates a huge income to the wider horse community.

20% of horses are race horses - the other 80% are recreational/pleasure horses.
    Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out which % contribute to dogger sales the most.

KP and other harness devottees, I applaud your restraint.....LOLOL

I don't know much about the European breeds or any of those more exotic ones.....*love reading about KPF's Freisans*......I know they are horses, I know they can be ridden, but apart from a few other generic tidbits, I wouldn't consider my comments or opinions valid enough to participate in a discussion on their history, or their many character attributes or equine failings. I'd look like an idiot.

14. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

Basically they are only suitable for bush wacking...

15. old_mate

Where do you get your dogging figures from ?
    The horses you breed have a short racing life, I have yet to see a 15 year old race horse racing.

16. old_mate

They dont end up at the dogger sales cause southdales picks them up straight from the trainers in a lot of cases.
    While I can understand the reasoning ie lack of homes and the need to move a nonmoney maker on.
    By breeding these horses you are infact for the most part producing expensive dog food if the horse is lucky it will be good at racing. Even so at the end of the racing are you as the breeder going to take all of your horses back and retire them ? I dont think so.
    You should be happy that there are people willing to take on these horses and ride them rather than bagging them as riding horses.
    We dont all want to go into high levels of horse sport.

17. kp

kp Well-known Member

You don't see a horse racing at 15, because it is not allowed. The rules state they must be retired when they turn 14. Don't blame the industry, it's the RSPCA's doing.

18. EVP

EVP Gold Member

OM the horse population in this country is 80/20. 80% are the recreational sector the 20% are the racing sector. Therefore by virtue of pure maths, the numbers represented at dogger sales must come from the 80%.

Of course there might be selected sales or sales days where there are more ex-racing horses.

Are you assuming that every retired race horse or performance horse is going to be sound enough to use as a riding mount? If so you are incorrect here. Horses aren't machines and therefore their soundness during and at the end of their careers can be questionable.

To expect that every retired race horse is fit enough body and mind to make a good riding horse is fanciful.

7 out of 10 OTT horses are unsound longterm for riding.

Having rehomed a number of horses via various means, the numbers of successful longterm homes is low.

In the interest of welfare, many horses are better off being in a can. Sad fact of life - but a reality of life.

Considering the huge number of people who rely on the racing sector for their income - I hope it flourishes. I hope people keep breeding them with high expectations of racing success because this contributes to the aspiration of using better genetics.

Whatever your agenda is, it matters little to race horse breeders. We're all too busy breeding horses and having fun in our choosen sport. If you consider yourself as "only the person at the end of the line picking up the pieces of the horse industry" then perhaps you need to adjust your negative thinking. I certainly don't under value the contribution of those with welfare agendas. They can and do contribute to the equine industry. But to blame race horse breeders for all the sins against horses is spreading it a bit thin......its actually laughable.

19. Harvey

Harvey New Member

This is my first time posting so please be gentle ...

I have been involved with horses for 30 years, mainly eventing & riding dressage officially. However for the last 6 of those I have also been breeding a small handful of STB for racing. I spend days poring over the Stallion Guide & doing tesios trying to find that 'perfect match'. I am disappointed to think that some people think I am breeding expensive dog food - I would hope this wasn't the norm :}

I should add that I breed for myself, family, friends & long standing owners & have never put one thru the sales.

I love my girls & their babies & I would hope I wasn't the only breeder who felt like this :)*

20. EVP

EVP Gold Member

No doubt EVERY breeder feels exactly the same Harvey.
    Saying race horse breeders are only creating expensive dog food is as offensive as saying everyone who rehomes one does it to abuse and neglect it!