2012 Standardbred Yearlings Sale

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Caroline, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Caroline

Caroline Well-known Member

We are ducking down to check out the baby standies at Belmont this year. All 110 of them!:D

For those who went last year, what did some of the real cheap ones sell for $$$ ?? Just curious?? :)

I have been looking for a nice sound STB boy for 6 months now (for endurance) and no luck so far. Thinking a youngster maybe the go? :}

2. Dark Embrace

Dark Embrace Active Member

From memory the prices at last years STB sales were not to bad... I think that the cheapest went for $1000. I cant remember any selling cheaper then that. Most sold, not too many passed in.
    Unlike the TB sales where some went for under $500. :(

3. mudslide

mudslide Well-known Member

Google Gloucester Standardbreds they have the sales results on there
    Good luck in your search :)

4. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

I know you can do what you may with them once bought but these horses are bred for racing and I hardly think its fair on the breeders if thats what you buy their yearling for. They need to have their crop out racing to prove their mares and the breeding potienal. There is hundreds of stbs loking for homes now that they are finished racing. I have a pretty 6 yo gelding if you want him.

ETA: Im sure the minimum pass in price is $2000 or unless you do a private sale after the auction

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  5. Stampede Sales

Stampede Sales New Member

UPDATE! Sale starting at 5.30pm not noon :))

6. Caroline

Thats a weird statement to make considering a huge % of those youngsters will end up at the doggers in 2yrs+ time anyway!!:D

7. Leti loves Elmo

Leti loves Elmo Well-known Member

Yes but a high percent have been tried. They just werent good enough to make trials or the track. But to find out someone bought your yearling for pleasure riding would be most disapointing. Why not save one that is going to the doggers then buy one that could have a large fulfilled racing career ahead?

8. kp

kp Well-known Member

I agree with Leti. I want the Standardbreds I breed to be at least tried for racing. If you want a young one I can put you onto someone who breaks in the young ones. At least you will still get a young horse and will have a good idea of its temperament. Buying a yearling from the sale is a risk. For endurance I would rather get one of a trainer.

9. abb77

abb77 Well-known Member

i agree with leti aswell, save one - itll thankyou :) good luck!

10. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Yes go to the sale. Buy a yearling for $1000 that nobody else wants, take it home, raise it up, spend money on trying to "get the pace out", attempt to do some endurance and THEN sell it into the recreational market as an untried race horse who paces and failed at endurance riding. It will be worth a squillion then! :confused:

11. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

Here we go again. Not all standies pace naturally. If you got hold of one who had not been trained for trials and broke it in for riding then the pacing would be very very much reduced?

I would rather have one that had not had race training so I did not have to deal with the confusion caused by asking the horse to do something that in some cases it has been force trained to do.

12. Caroline

Thats correct Old Mate. Pacing does NOT bother me. We educate them to saddle ourselves anyway.

We have looked at numerous standies that fitted my basic criteria and they had all raced previously, and 95% were unsound due to stifle lock, old race injuries, ulcers, bad legs or feet, &/or sacro issues. And some were as sour as a bucket full of lemons due to their life of racing and humans.

We are in contact with a several trainers and so far nothing suitable has come up.

The Sales seemed like a possible place to source what I am after. At least they should be sound and not done 150 races!! But I would not pay $1000 either for any standy.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  13. kp

kp Well-known Member

They are bred to pace. They do it naturally. Even more so as young horses until they develop the strength to trot and canter. Of the hundreds of young horses come through, we have one that we would say wasn't a natural pacer. Plenty of yearling Standardbreds that choose to pace in the paddock.

Caroline, I recently re-homed one to an endurance home. The person is stoked with him. Lovely horse. He did race, he did pace and did have an old injury. But vets , myself and also her own research meant she was comfortable taking him on. You aren't going to find a horse with zero issues.

14. ashlee

ashlee Active Member

i agree with Leti.

We breed standardbreds but dont sell them but my dad & i would be so angry if we found out our colt or filly got sold to be an Endurance horse. People breed & sell to prove there broodmares..

i dont see a problem with finding a young ex race horse.
    i got a stunning 4 year old off the track 4-5 years ago he only had 21 starts & ive only seen him pace only once.

He did do a tendent but wasnt an issue & he was as sound as a butterfly

i couldnt ask for a better horse

Leti You know who i'm talking about??
    :D

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  15. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Sorry OM but the majority of Standardbreds DO pace naturally. The only ones that don't are those that carry a high percentage of 'trotter blood".
    Suffice to say that the majority of horses born and bred in Australia are PACERS.

There are horses who require extra encouragement to pace or pace fast enough to win a race.........that doesn't make them any less a pacer. It just makes them a slow pacer!

You obviously don't have alot of experience with the breed, and thats OK...but take it from me - 99% of standardbreds find the "pace" very natural. They are after all - a gaited breed.

16. EVP

EVP Gold Member

Wouldn't get the sniff of a grassy bumburp from one of mine for a measely 1K!
    Anyone who breeds a standardbred foal and expects that 1K is a good return should take up knitting! This is sooooooo not doing harness racing any favours.

17. old_mate

old_mate Well-known Member

Love I never said that there were a LOT of pacers who did not nautrally pace I said there were SOME.

I know this for a fact because I had one who never paced undersaddle from day 1, he was of NZ breeding.

If you lot are happy with breeding stuff to end up in cans after a few years of racing if they are lucky but would be upset for a horse to get a good (excellent in Caroline's case ) then you are very very sick people !

18. EVP

EVP Gold Member

I've got a paddock full of imported NZ bred Standardbreds. They don't breed them any different in NZ than they breed them here.......lolol

The only reason a pacer won't pace is because he's a trotter........lolol
    In the Standardbred world there is a difference.

19. Lakota

Lakota Well-known Member

What a ridiculous statement!! What they are saying was that it would be most dis-heartening for a breeder to find out that their yearling had been sold to non-racing home. The majority of these breeders are continuing to breed from their mares and put the progeny through the sale to give them a chance at being successful and getting the broodmares name (and the breeder's) out there. Thus making the resulting progeny from the broodmare worth a whole lot more money. This is the breeding game.

Of course if Caroline was to take on a young one that is too slow after it has been tried most owners/trainers would be thrilled.

I am sure you are a wonderful home Caroline and I do commend you for giving this great breed a chance after racing. My Aunty trains and often has some nice types come up for sale (or free) if you would like me to keep an eye out. There is one in particular who is an absolute corker, might have to wait a year or two though.

20. kp

kp Well-known Member

Old mate I don't know of any breeder who breeds with the intention of the horse ending up in a can! That is a really harsh comment. I know plenty of breeders who follow the horses they breed very closely. I know I do. Every breeder I know is breeding the best horse they can. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I think you would be surprised as to just how closely every breeder I have dealt with follows there horse. Usually with great pride.

Good for you that you ended up with a pacer that doesn't free leg. That horse is the minority not the majority. Even my very talented trotter with many generations of trotting breeding will pace when he feels like it.